Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Lost My Seoul: Conclusion

This was my last day visiting Seoul. Not the last day forever, just the last day during my relaxing, albeit short vacation break. I woke up in the Itaewon Land Spa (Jjimjilbang, pronounced: jim jill bong). The night prior I relaxed in one of their heated baths after a day of walking and an evening of drinking. I recommend these bath houses however take a pillow. You can rent a room for 20,000, ($18.00 U.S.), however there isn't any air conditioning. Normally this would be fine, but your amenities include a fan, two plastic mats, and a plastic covered foam pillow. The lack of cool air combined with plastic mats and pillows makes for an uncomfortable sleep. I felt like a basting chicken when I awoke. I do not mean for this to sound negative because I wouldn't have traded the experience for the world. I'm more saying, well, take a pillow. :-)



Namdaemun Market
Me and my fantastic tour guide Bri met up near the Namdaemun Market. She suggested we go up Seoul tower but I wasn't that up for it. I initially agreed, because I'm a dude, and I didn't want to seem like a wuss. But it worked out where we both agreed we didn't need to (I think she might have known I was in pain from the full days walk the day before. She's an angel.) We walked around Namdaemun Market for a few minutes. This market dates back to 1414 and one of the oldest continually running markets in Korea. We couldn't find a lemonade vendor there however.

The Lemonade Lady

Great stuff this lemonade. Zip seal bag filled with ice, a Korean lemon/lime drink just like Sprite, and fresh squeezed lemon juice. They mix it all up right there at the table. It was just fantastic. This picture was from yesterday.

Namsangol Hanok Village
Next was the Namsangol Hanok VillageThis attraction is right in Seoul. A wonderful period piece displaying pre-20th century Korean living. More than the wood and stone that built them, these beautiful homes are filled with actual furniture from the time as well as artisans that wicker, weave, and darn the clothing worn during the time as well. There is also a tea room where you can be be a guest at an authentic Korean tea ceremony. Who wouldn't want to be part of that?


Kalbi with all of the fixin's
This ended my walking for the day so we decided to head to a beef and leave. A common colloquial for the traditional Korean BBQ restaurant. This is down the bath from the village and right on the main road. It's just a 30 second walk down the road. I'm sorry I don't have the name. This was by far the best Kalbi I have ever eaten (besides my own). The sides were fantastic including a sesame infused rice noodle dish. Came with a free bowl of some ice shaved desert with mung beans and what I honestly believe was small corn flakes. Great stuff.

Mosaic Poop Statues
Overall, Seoul is an adventure that two days doesn't even come close to scratching the surface of. But in two days I saw a palace, secret garden, 600 year old market, prison, historic period village, the best Kalbi I have ever eaten, mosaic poop statues, and of course a bunch of man wiener at the Jjimjilbang. Oh, and had the greatest tour guide ever!  Thank you Bri. I can ride the subway all on my own now!

2 comments:

  1. Dan! You did a great job describing fun in Seoul! What a lovely blog! I'm pathetic and still have not come up with anything witty or smart to comment but I am going to leave you with some Korean to top off the Korean adventure. 너는 죄고야!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Bri, YOU'RE THE BEST!!!

    And thank you for the kind comment. This won't be the last time I drag you on an adventure. But after this week and your island trip this weekend, I promise to leave you to heal for a bit. I'm sure you will want the rest. :-)

    ReplyDelete